R S Merriman Ltd is an electrical contractor based in Stromness, Orkney.
Founded in May 1946 by Rupert Stanger Merriman, the company installed domestic electrical systems and street lighting on Orkney in preparation for the introduction of electricity to the islands.
The company then progressed into agricultural, commercial and industrial installations and in the 1980s worked with Elf Enterprise at the Flotta Oil terminal, expanding into Instrumentation.
Over the years the company has continued to increase it’s knowledge & experience and now has a diverse portfolio of domestic , commercial & industrial works , including :
- Schools , Community Centres , & Leisure Facilities
- Hospitals , Medical Facilities & Care Homes
- Water Treatment Facilities & Pumping Stations
- Marine – Installation & maintenance of Salmon farms , tugs , workboats , fishing vessels & passenger ferries
- Flotta Oil Terminal – Electrical & Instrumentation
- Police Stations & Banks
- Warehouses , Shop premises & Show rooms
- Food Processors , Distilleries , Breweries , Dairies , Creameries , Abattoirs , Bakeries
- Harbour premises & infrastructure
- Art galleries & Libraries
- Wind Turbines , Solar PV & Air Source Heating
R S Merriman Ltd has also worked in some of the most remote & unforgiving locations in the UK , carrying out a variety of works at lighthouses & locations for the Northern Lighthouse Board.
In recent years we have branched into the renewable sector,
gaining certification with the Microgeneration Certification Scheme / MCS for
Solar Photovoltaic, Air Source Heating & Wind Turbines & have been involved
The company is still in family hands, run by Managing Directors Tony Merriman & Brian Muir, grandsons of the company’s founder.
We have been involved in the training of many apprentices & individuals over the years and currently have a staff of 28, including Electricians, Approved Electricians, Instrument Technicians, Electrical Engineers, Apprentices, Plumbers and Painters.
We continue to expand our knowledge & experience, at the forefront of new technologies & sectors in our industry.